Monday, January 19, 2015

Funeral Director January, 2015

This is what I wore to a large, church funeral. It's a dress and matching jacket from St. John Knits that was a Christmas gift from my husband a few years ago.  He purchased it from Rodes in Louisvillle. The jacket has functional pockets large enough to hold a smart phone.  It has contrasting, black trim which adds interest to the ensemble.  I like the zip front because it gives the ensemble a more modern look.  I had the jacket altered to fit, especially the sleeve length which was a bit too long for me.  I could easily dress this up with a large, sparkling statement necklace and wear black, patterned hose and black high heels.  I can also tone it down by pinning my Chanel, white Camellia, floral brooch to the jacket and adding small pearl or diamond stud earrings.

This is the simple sheath style dress that goes with the jacket. I had it altered to fit and hemmed to just cover my knees.

My necklace is a reproduction of Jackie Kennedy Onassis' triple strand pearls that she is seen wearing in so many photographs.  It is believed that her necklace was a gift from her mother and the pearls were costume not genuine.  You can still buy reproductions at http://www.smithsonianstore.com  They have a page of "Jackie Kennedy" reproduction jewelry.  The triple stand, faux pearl necklace is #45421 and is $165.00.  

These are the accessories I wore with my black suit and pearl necklace: Stuart Weiztman nude, patent leather kitten heel pumps, nude hose, old black, leather clutch with chain strap, a triple stand, faux pearl elastic bracelet from Hallmark and old, large, faux pearl stud earrings from a store in the mall.  My Grandmother Ruby taught me to put on and take off my hosiery wearing white, nylon gloves.  She said it protects your hosiery from pulls and runs caused by jewelry and rough hands.  I bought mine in a bridal shop.

These Stuart Weitzman "Poco" kitten heel pumps in "Adobe Aniline" still be available through http://www.zappos.com/stuartweitzman  They are also available in navy "Goosebump" leather and black patent leather.  I bought mine several years ago at VonMaur in Louisville. If you are looking for a kitten heel pump for a wedding or special event, this same pump comes in other pretty finishes and textures.
ttp://www.zappos.com/stuart-weitzman-bridal-evening-collection-poco-platinum-noir?si2818321=&channel=135&mr:referralID=c9b55b50-a344-11e4-883a-001b2166c62d

These small, "Etra"clutch handbags are old enough to be considered Vintage.  I collected them from two department stores in Louisville that are no longer in business.   Look for a leather tag inside that says "Etra Genuine Leather" or find the same words stamped in gold letters on the lining of the bag.

In the past, most well made, sleeveless dresses had these ribbon snaps sewn into shoulders.  They are meant to hold bra straps in place.  I hate the look of bras straps showing these days.  I think it looks very trashy.  If your outfit doesn't have these little ribbon snaps in them then purchase a bra with the right kind of straps or go strapless.  Always have your bras fitted by an expert in the lingerie department.  I wore a black bra with my black dress but used a nude bra strap in this photo for the sake of illustration.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

🏇Kentucky Derby Week Bag Policy🏇

Churchill Downs Racetrack will enforce a restricted bag policy from Saturday, April 27th, 2024 through Derby Day (Saturday, May ...