Monday, September 29, 2014

"10 No-Fail Cocktail Party Conversation Starters" from Town and Country Magazine

1.  "I will first ask them to explain to me their work. People usually have a way they explain their job, or how they spend their day, so they can feel comfortable." - Alexa Hampton, interior designer and author

2.  "My favorite icebreaker is to find something to compliment them on – their outfit, hairstyle, handbag, shoes…something. I ask them to tell me about it, so the person can’t just respond with a simple thank you. Then I jump in with follow-up questions and that usually gets them going." - Teri Agins, Fashion Writer and Wall Street Journal columnist

3.  "If the person is attending with his or her significant other, I like to ask, “How did you two meet?” This always puts the person at ease since it’s a happy story and they’ve told it many times before. Also, it usually reveals enough common ground to keep the conversation rolling along." Carla McDonald, founder, The Salonniere

4. "I like to ask, “When and where were you happiest in your life?” Ashley McDermott, Writer and Philanthropist

5. "I find everyone loves to eat and talk about eating and share what and where they’ve been eating! So I ask, “Have you been to any great new restaurants lately?” Debi Lilly, event designer and author of A Perfect Event: Inspired, Easy Elegance for Every Occasion
 
6. "I ask, “If you had the opportunity to meet one person you haven’t met who would it be, why and what would you talk about?” Fred Anderson, president of soon to be launched lifestyle brand Hanley Mellon

7.  "My favorites are, “If you could have an alternate career, what would it be?” and “What was your most embarrassing moment?” The answers always spark a lively conversation." Angella Nazaria, best-selling author and philanthropist

8.  "I can’t stand small talk, so I’ll turn to the table and say, “Let’s talk about something that we can all learn about from one another. What do you think is the driving force in your life?” Kathy Freston,  New York Times best-selling author
 
9. "Compliments are nice as are open-ended questions like, “How do you spend your day?” or “What’s new in your world?” Daniel Menaker, author of A Good Talk: The Story and Skill of Conversation
 
10. " I always lean on books or travel. They are my go-to topics. So I’ll say, “I’m looking for a good summer read. Have you read anything good lately?” Kimberly Schlegel Whitman, Lifestyle and Entertaining expert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lily Pulitzer